National Service Scheme (Nss)
National Service Scheme (NSS) was launched by the Union Education Minister Dr. V.K.R.V. Rao during the Mahatma Gandhi’s Centenary Year 24th September, 1969, involving student volunteers in different universities with primary focus on the development of personality of students through community service.
The objectives of N.S.S are :
• Understand the community in which they work.
• Understand themselves in relation to their community.
• Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
• Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
• Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
• Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
• Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters
Classification of Activities
Activities conducted are of mainly two types
• Campus Work
• Institutional work
• Rural Project
• Urban Projects
• National Days Celebrations
• National Programmes
• Tree Plantation & maintenance of village streets, so as to keep the environment clean.
• Health, Family Welfare and Nutrition Programme.
• Programmes aimed at creating an awareness for improvement of the status of women
• Social Service Programmes
• Education and Recreations